Monday, June 08, 2009

Three Day Weekend












Nat was off work on Monday so we got to spend a three-day weekend together. On Saturday we trimmed up the brush in the yard (as much as we could for now). It looks so much prettier when there is definition between the bushes. After that we decided to go on an adventure. Since we are utterly broke, we had to do something cheap. We drove up to Brisbane Forest to go for a trail walk. it was still pretty slushy from all the rain we have been having, but nice none the less. The clerk lady was very helpful with giving us some suggestions on where to go for good trails and good camping. It was a short walk, but still a couple miles.
Sunday was a lazy day. I think Nat slept till noon or something crazy and we went grocery shopping...that was pretty much it. We sit and watch alot of tv, and I am pretty sure I have maxed out my quota of Will and Grace (3 day marathon!! =)) Nat has been on a reading kick, so that doesnt leave much for adventure. I had my reading kick of the century and I have gotten half way through Angels and Demons and just cant finish it. I hope our children get their attitude for reading from their dad, cause I think books are boring. =)
Yesterday (Monday) we went to the Ipswich Nature Center at Queen's Park. We went with our new found friends Hans and Danielle. They really are super cool... They are leaving this week to go back to the states for a couple months. I am jealous that she will be eating mexican crack dip -- thats the only thing that really makes me question my choice to move here....no crack dip...or any good mexican food (i guess the border is a little too far for them to cross!) Too bad I am not an asian food lover....if so, I would be in heaven.
Anyway...I was hoping to finally see my first koala but was disappointed. We did however see lots of lizards and kangeroos of various sizes (and names, but they all looked like kangeroos). We had some good fun with a talking bird (cockatoo) that was very amusing and liked to show off, and apparently really liked to get "scratched", or that was the only thing it knew how to say. I swear if Etta and Sadie could talk that is what they would say too! We had nice conversation and walked through the park and a japanese garden and hung out a bit at the cafe. I am posting some pics below for you to see. I have no idea the names of most of these animals but they are all LAZY!! I wasnt sure if it was nap-time or if all Aussie Animals are just lazy!
Last week I finally got all my paperwork finished for QUT...well at least enough to be accepted with idea of classes. I am going tomorrow to get my Hep-B vaccination and student ID. I also have to have First Aid Certification so I need to sign up for that as well. Its still more than a month off before I even start. I have tried to get a job, but I havent heard much back from the prospects. I think this week I am going to finish up my aussie resume and go fill out some applications. I think it would be fun to work at movie theatre or something like that. It will be easier now that I have some sort of idea when my classes will be. It will be nice to make a little money on my own, hopefully it will help with tuition…cause its not cheap. Luckily its only a 2 year program. I am not for sure how we are going to afford it without financial aid, and that is still up in the air as far as what we can get (if anything). I really hate how money rules life…even when you think you have it all settled it creeps back up on you and kicks your butt.
Nat and I have been living without the use of credit cards, which makes it very difficult. We have been very lucky to make it this far this month. I think it may be a blessing in disguise that we have been denied for every credit card we have applied for. It definitely makes us feel like losers, but at the same time it’s a tough lesson in budgeting. The first couple months are definitely the hardest, but I guess I am becoming a better cook because of it.
We really really really miss our girls. We still have another 3 months before we get them in the country. They most likely wont get delivered to us here in Brisbane until Mid September. Our crate however should be here within the month. Have I mentioned how I WANT MY BED!!! This cheap bed is crap. I would like to sleep THROUGH the night. I swear I wake up every 45 minutes to hour. All well—I can survive couple more weeks.
Well I am getting off here and going to be productive and good housewife.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks like fun! Miss you both!

Hope said...

Chrissi, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your efforts to fill us in on your new life in Australia. It warms my heart and makes you both feel a little bit closer. Wish I was there. Love you!