Thursday, May 14, 2009

TGIF

Hello all! I guess I have a lot of catching up to do!
last weekend we shopped around for cars and got rough idea on furniture. Ill try to recount this week, although the days are running into each other. We went to IKEA and got some essentials that we have but on a boat somewhere on the Pacific. SO we go some dishes, pots and pans, measuring cups, oven mitts...it really is amazing what you need in JUST the kitchen. Imagine the list..cleaning supplies, bathroom, bedroom, closet, kitchen, etc etc! Some stuff we have coming, but I think we learned from this experience what is necessary asap. Regardless we got some essentials cheap to hold us over till Mid-July.

Monday

We were supposed to meet up with owners for dinner. But they had to cancel, which was a total bummer but I totally understood. So all in all, we received from them 5 pc sectional couch, 7-seater dining room table, 2 bar stools, some yard equipment and desk. What started out as table and chairs, ended up being alot of what we needed furniture wise. They got the tile, carpet and couch cleaned for us. I dont think I did anything too interesting this day. I watched a really cheesy horror flick and looked for jobs online plus called around to all the car dealerships. nat and i went out sunday to lots to get some options, out of about 10 we saw on sunday in lot, 6 were sold by 2pm on Monday---UGH UGH UGH. I did finally find one that i like that we put deposit down to see on saturday. What is really cool is that they will actually bring the car to you! at least we have something secured until we can make it there (EVERYTHING closes at 5-5:30 so it makes it sorta IMPOSSIBLE) In lieu of dinner plans, nat and i got hungry jacks (i am SO sick of eating out!!!)

Tuesday

Tonight we had dinner plans with people from Hastings Deering. The girl Nat is replacing is 6 weeks from busting and it was her farewell party. We went to Cactus Jacks, a "mexican" restaurant. It was no Margaritas or El Rancho Grande. I am wondering if those places actually exist!! It was decent food nonetheless. I walked up to the mall today just to walk around. It is quite the hike up a hill. I took pictures that I am going to post. We got to Cactus Jacks around 7 and didnt leave till nearly 10:30...Aussies can TALK!! It was great! There was rarely a dull moment in the conversation and although I didnt work with them, I felt somewhat included.

Wednesday

I was supposed to go to QUT and have the beginning of my Hep B shots for school and I was also going to get my student id and take care of anything else I needed to do. I cancelled. I only had about $50 left and it would easily be over $100 day with the fee for shot as well as taxi. I opted to wait to figure out bus system when I get to house, since I will be coming and going from there. Apparently its very confusing. I have lunch plans with Natalie on Monday so hopefully she can help me out. In lieu of QUT I watched Biggest Loser with my sisters...how awesome right? We got on skype video call and they set the camera right in front of the tv. It was nice to "hang out" with them. Much better that visiting QUT!!
For dinner Nat and I ordered pizza hut. I was sorely disappointed. Nothing here tastes the same. I am about to crawl into a hole of not eating cause its not worth it. That is the main reason why I am SO excited to have kitchen so I can start cooking what I know I will like (and it wont cost me a fortune!) There are definately things I miss. Wings...with good sauce. Ranch dressing that doesnt taste like honey mustard horseradish. hamburgers with MEAT. familiar cheese. crack dip. even the coke tastes funny. Maybe it is all mental, but it matters to my brain. I got strawberry sundae from McD---smelt like old mans stinky underarm. (funny side story, as i sat down to eat my sundae, a little girl was playing hide and seek with kids in next room over (playroom) and then they started sticking their tongues out at her. No kidding, that girl leaned back and haulked a loogie on the window...like 3 times. After that i vowed not to eat stinky strawberry sundaes in the presence of spitting children.)

Thursday

Yesterday I went out on my own and went shopping. I had to run errands and go to bank, look for mattress and appliances. I have been extremely frugal. I compare all the prices from one store to the next and try to haggle. Last night (stores open late on Thursdays so Nat could go shopping with me) we finally got all the necessity appliances. I think we got a really good deal compared to the competition, plus the sales guy was super nice and lenient! Check that off the list. We are desperate for a mattress. They are so hard to shop for. It has been way overdue finding a mattress. We would otherwise be sleeping on the couch/floor. I got an email from owners of house...consider for a moment how unbelievablely cool this is.

Hi Chrissy and Nat,

We finally got everything packed up and have arrived safely in Hervey Bay, but I just wanted to let you know that you wont have to worry too much about buying kitchen stuff as we have left you a few things to get you started.


* Crockery & cutlery
* glassware
* Pots and 1 pan
* Plastic containers
* A roasting dish and roasting trays
* Iron and Ironing board
* mop & bucket
* Various washing buckets
* cooking utensils
* Foils and glad wraps
* toilet brushes & toilet bins
* TOilet paper basket
* hand held vaccum and extension cord
* 2 x heavy duty extension cords in the garage


I tried to keep everything at least matched. If you dont need many of the items, you can just toss them in the trash. Anything we have left behind is for your use and not part of your lease contract.

We have also left you a bottle of Northern Territory Brew. (as we are not drinking anymore)
Im not sure what this one tastes like, it was an unwanted gift.

ANything else you need, just let us know.

Thanks again,

Lisa and Dean


Seriously!!! So now we get to go back to IKEA and return most everything we bought. Honestly I will need to see most of it to know what exactly it is. How cool though! So much of the stuff we need and some stuff we didn't even think about. highlight of my day! Last night I put my resume into a couple places. Photography jobs are more prevalent here so hopefully that will work out to give me something to do until i start school in July. Overall Thursday was very successful.

Friday (so far)

Today Nat and I get to go sign for our new house! I am SO excited to get out of this hotel room. It hasnt been bad, but I just know what the house looks like and I want to be there! WE sign for house, go get AU licenses, pick up credit cards from bank, finish mattress shopping and possibly go car shopping. Finding a car is priority this weekend since Monday will be the final day Nat will have car provided by company. We have car secured to look and appointment tomorrow morning that I think will work. It really is a daunting task to find a decent car for a reasonable price. They dont have quite the selection or competition as in the states. 1999 cars are going for over $10,000. I think we may go see Angels and Demons tonight, but that highly depends on if we find a car, because if we do, we will be taking me driving on side roads before I bring that bad boy home! So I am off to get dressed and go check out some furniture stores to compare mattress prices more diligently. I need to write them all down and try to remember if I thought they were comfy. Nat will be coming home early at noon so that we can run all these errands.

Tomorrow we have more car shopping and hopefully mattress finding. Our appliances will be delivered and hopefully we will have mattress by Monday so we can move out of this hotel into HOME!!

I am really trying to be good. Life has been sorta hectic but I dont think its going to get any better.
love you all
Mrs. P

1 comment:

Dad said...

Thanks I have been waiting for this. Sounds like you are starting to work things out! I remember craving things from home like McDonalds (cause yes even if you have one there it tastes different) only to return to the States and be dissapointed because, like you said, it's really just a mental thing.

Anyway, tell Nat to write about work sometime...