Saturday, May 09, 2009

Social Life, etc

Today Nat and I decided to get up early and go car shopping. Nat currently has a loaner car from Hastings Deering but we really need to invest in our own car. We are having some issues at the moment. 1. There are not really any cars under $13-15,000. 2. We dont have that kind of money on hand. 3. They arent super keen on giving loans out to people like us. So we are sorta in a perdicament. I am sure we can figure something out, but it is becoming quite the hassle. I was hoping not to spend that kind of money on a car we will have for only 2 years, but its sort of a necessity.
After a couple hours daydreaming about what we couldnt afford we had an appointment to meet with the owners of the house again today. They are moving to Cairns and are packing up. It is unusual to have contact with the owners. Most transactions would go through the agent/property manager. We had a great chat with them the first time we met them and this time was no different. Again we were there for over 2 hours. They are attempting to get rid of some of their furniture, ie dining table, end tables, couch...and we were obliged to take it off their hands! =) We ended up with table with 6 chairs, 2 bar stools, 5 lazyboys (sorta like detachable sectional), tv stand, and one large and one small trendy coffee tables. We are negotiating for the fridge so we wont have to buy one of those (they dont come standard in AU). Overall it was a good deal. We went furniture shopping after we left and were relieved to have taken care of some big purchases without even having much of a hassle. I think they were relieved to get rid of them.
While chatting, we were discussing different locations that we should go and visit. Lisa (the wife) started making us a list. We arranged to have dinner on Monday night, where she promises a more defined list of local and New Zealand must-go-to spots. They really are a great couple and I hope we find more couple like them that arent moving far far away. They are very close to our age and are very trendy. He has worked as a graphic designer and currently makes these amazing cravings out of wood. Their house and all its decor (including furniture) fit right into my tastes and I can totally see how I will decorate. We sign our lease next Friday and then we can move in right away. We are trying to figure out our options of sleeping arrangements until our boat brings over our belongings.
So dinner plans on Monday with Lisa and Dean. Dinner plans on Tuesday with people from Nat's work. Campus visit to QUT on Wednesday. Thursday, no plans but I am sure shopping is involved. Friday sign for new house. Last night we had dinner at John's house (Nat's boss). We will still have hotel until following wednesday, so that will give us time to make arrangements for whatever we might need. We have more of a social life here than in the states!
I have a connection here through a friend that spent some time here in Brisbane a couple years ago. I am hoping to get together with her and be great friends! She has offered to be my tour guide. I am hoping also that she will be a great asset in finding a church home. She graduated from Cincinnati Bible Seminary and I am pretty sure her dad is in ministry here in Brisbane at a Baptist church, but I am SURE that it is structured WAY different than what I grew up with.
I feel like I may be leaving out some details, but I cant remember what I have emailed to my sisters and what I have wrote here. All well, I cant give ALL the details. I am outta here now, Nat and I are on our way to dinner and movie (Star Trek---what am I thinking?!?!?!).
Love you all....
Mrs. P

No comments: