Sunday, May 31, 2009

flying insects on faces...time flies

It feels like I have been in Australia for years. I am still finding my bearings as far as whats near or far and what I like and dont like. Its hard to believe its barely been a month. just at three weeks or so. In the time I have been here, we have found a house, bought a car, met some new friends and are finally getting in to some kind of routine. I am sure there will be much more adjusting to come, but for now, we are settled more than I would have expected.
Last week I made it a point to apply for jobs--from graphic design to grocery clerk. Nothing yet, but I am learning that aussies take their sweet ol' time doing anything. There is definately no rush. I think getting a job will be good for me to get out of the house. I have become quite domesticated. Each morning we wake up around 7am. I cook Nat breakfast, fix his lunch and send him off to work. You would think I would go back to bed, but I dont. The remainder of the day consists of cleaning, dishes, laundry and the dreaded ironing. I barely watch tv -- unless the 24 hour music channel counts (its what MTV is SUPPOSED to be!!) Somehow I fill my day with stuff to do. I retouch pictures, make lots of lists...i would do a devotion or two, but I think my bible is on a boat!
speaking of our stuff. We are hoping to get it within the next 3-4 weeks. It will be SO SO SO SO awesome to sleep in my bed. I slept on the couch last week because I wanted to NOT wake up with a neck cramp and a back ache! I LOVE MY BED!! I am hoping that it did not get destroyed! If it does, I guess Nats check next month will be going towards a bed! Its a little adjustment getting paid once a month. We had so many expenses right up front that we are living the next couple weeks without doing much of anything. We eat in every night...which is cheaper, and experimental. I made some buttered spaghetti last week that Nat LOVED. I am a pretty good (and sometimes creative) cook. I am pretty basic though. Spaghetti, chicken, potato soup (food of the poor!) and more spaghetti! I am looking for some recipes. I forgot to bring all my recipe books back with Cheryl. One day I am sure I will get them back.
Last week I went up to QUT to make sure everything was in order to start school. I had waited on giving back my offer letter because I wanted to have our new address and phone numbers. Apparently in order to officially be accepted indefinately and move on to the next steps of enrollments (ie classes, id, etc) I need to pay my first semester up front. Cause I have $10,000 just laying around. I talked to financial aid and they said not to worry about it, but I talk to other people and they say I must have all first semester cash in hand. I have applied to financial aid, but I guess it wont go through until i get enrolled...vicious backwards cycle! I am hoping I find someone to talk to that knows what they are talking about -- and SOON before I miss out on technicalities. I have been doubting my purpose in going into nursing, but I was encouraged from my other blog. I guess I just feel hormonal.
We have met some great people. We met Hans and Danielle through an online forum and had dinner with them. It was so much fun. We had so much in common and I am sure we will hang out again. There schedule for the next 3 months is filled with trips and arrangements but hopefully when they get back we can reconnect. I also had lunch with Natalie (friend of Robbie Ballmeyer). She is super sweet and I think she can really broaden our horizons as far as things to do. There is alot to do here, but it takes money one way or another--if just in gas money. Nat and I did drive down to Gold Coast on Saturday. It was a beautiful drive. They were having a blues concert near the beach. The ocean of course was beautiful but REALLY cold and windy. I am sure its not usually like that, but we were on the beach for about 5 minutes. Gold Coast I guess is sorta like Miami (although I wouldnt know)-- there are lots of really nice houses inside bays with their boats parked at their front doors (which was all water). I thought of how Ken and Vanessa would LOVE it there. The water was blue and sparkling. i am sure we will spend more time there when it warms up a bit. There is still so much more to discover inside Brisbane. The city life is very active. i am anxious to go to southport and ride the ferris wheel. I am hoping that we dont get into so much a routine with not spending money that we dont find all the adventures that dont take any money. We will get there I am sure.
I would tell you of all our adventures when we start really having some. I am not sure that writing about moving the desk and going grocery shopping is very entertaining. I am very happy to have internet though. I had so much catching up to do with the business. its like 9pm on sunday and I am pretty tired already. I have some errands to run this week..going to get Hep B shot, filling out some applications and paperwork with QUT, finish retouching wedding pics. i will be taking a First Aid Certification class in mid-June. granted I have the money to pay for it! The next couple months will be better, just the first month hit us hard with having to put down deposit and first month's rent and buy appliances and basic essentials (like food and laundry detergent).
Nat and I have been going on walks around the subdivision. We went one day in the rain and we were SOAKED when we got home, but it was awesome...and we went one day in the dark (cause it gets dark when Nat gets home). I have ventured out once. I was trying to figure out how long it would take me to walk to bus stop...20 minutes. Not too bad...all subdivision. Nat claims there is a much quicker route, but it involves paths rather than roads and I like to stick to roads until I walk it with him 3 or 4 times. I dont have gps for walking!
well i guess i am off here for now. Nat really should blog more...he is quite the slacker.
love you all. hope all is well with you.
Chrissi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can reveal that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is quiet a question as you did in the fall delivery of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=audiosurf (2008) ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you have not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg