Saturday, May 16, 2009

Checking 'em off the list...

Last night we bought a car, pending financing. It was necessary expense because Nat will have to give up the company Ute on Monday. We probably wont get it till sometime next week, hopefully Tuesday. Its a Toyota Corolla Hatchback. nothing fancy, but will get us where we need to go. Friday was exhausting. We signed for house, got out licenses, picked up credit cards at bank, bought car...and I am sure other tidbits in between. It felt like we ran non-stop all day.
today we slept in a bit. Then went over to the house to check it out. It will need a major overhaul in cleaning...but I guess that is my job next week. Our appliances got delivered today but we wont have electricity until Monday (although agent said it would still be on). I was supposed to have lunch plans with Natalie on Monday, but had to cancel because someone needs to be there for electric guy, anytime from 1-6pm. Our fridge is too tall, so we will have to figure that out. Luckily the cabinets are able to be finagled. While waiting for appliances, we ran to get some lunch and bought a mattress. it is comfortable enough and was pretty cheap. Loaded it up in the Ute and went back to house. After appliances came we went shopping and to run a couple errands. We had to return stuff we bought last weekend because our lovely owners left us so much to work with till our stuff arrives. We went to KMart and had to buy so much crap. Mainly cleaning supplies so that I can tackle that job this week. We also got sheets for the new mattress. We will still have to wait until mid-July for the rest of our stuff. We will be moved in by Wednesday, but its nice to have hotel until then.
Tonight we are going to see Angels and Demons at the cinema. I am excited about it. I read half the book, yet Nat read it all in the last couple days...i am such a slacker.
Tomorrow we are going to go to Ikea and try to find a cheap bed frame. We opted not to buy the boxspring (ensemble) and to get a cheap slat bed from IKEA. Slowly but surely things are falling into place and we are getting settled. Can you believe I have only been here for 10 days? Amazing what you can do in a month between the two of us! Hopefully next month we wont have quite as many off hand expenses and can make due until our stuff gets here.
Its Nats turn to write...with requests for work related experiences that I cant answer. I will be happy to be in the routine of life for a bit.
Funny story...i am not thrilled about driving. Its not bad, but I am procrastinating as long as possible. Nat today forced me to drive. He wanted me to drive to our next destination, but I opted to just drive within the quiet subdivision. I think he was relieved I didnt get out into traffic. I think he was stressing a bit. I didnt hit anything, and its rather easy to get a hang out with rotaries and driving on the wrong side. Its more of where you are in your lane that is a bit tricky. So like him, I hugged the left side of the road...at least now he knows how i feel when he drives!! =) Ill get it soon enough, but I think i would rather learn in a compact car instead of a Ute (which feels more like a semi-truck).

Love you all...we are off to the movies!
Chrissi

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I just wanted to say hello and welcome to Brisbane. I found you linked from another expat blog.

I'm from Iowa but have lived in Brisbane for about three & a half years, I guess. It looks like you guys are settling right in, but if you need any tips on where to find Dr. Pepper in this country or where to find anything vaguely resembling the Mexican food you know and love, just jot me an email! :)